Saturday, July 10, 2010

Figgy Figgy

I have never appreciated 'seasonal' fruit. Things seemed to be available year round growing up in Colombia. Or if they are seasonal, our messed up unsustainable planting systems are now making things available year round.

In Gaza I have truly started to appreciate seasonal fruits and vegetables. I miss them terribly while they're gone- such as avocado. There isn't an avocado in town, yet the veggie stores are booming with figs and mangoes right now. I've eaten more mango than I could ever imagine, and now I have a stock of figs in the fridge. The lemons are also disappearing-- and so are the sweet potatoes. WAAAAA!

My friend Inka was telling me the other day that she was trying to buy some figs with her colleagues. They insisted that she buy the ones with the broken skin, whilst Inka couldn't fathom buying those and preferred buying the ones that looked 'whole'. I guess the riper the sweeter, this one in my hand was just lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment