Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"my class depends on the lunar calendar"

I was cracking last night when I was talking to my colleague J, who is from the deep South (USA). In a southern drawl she says "Can you please explain to me how my Arabic class on Wednesday depends on the Lunar calendar?"

Ah yes, we are about to launch ourselves into the long, hot, and hungry month of Ramadan. If we see the moon tonight, Ramadan will begin, if not-- Ramadan will begin tomorrow.

Here is where it gets particularly tricky.

If we see the moon tonight, the Palestinian Authority says that we have to turn back the clocks 1 hour. So tomorrow could offer 2 options:
  1. A normal day, 7:30-4pm working hours
  2. A day where the clock turns back, Gazans start work at 8am, and end at 2pm and struggle through the first day of fasting.
Fasting is particularly hard the first few days. I would be rather grumpy if that was me.
The fasting will follow with feasting every single day. Only hope I get my hands on a tasty homemade meal!


No comments:

Post a Comment